Thursday 15 December 2011

Choc Mint Cupcakes & Caramel Cupcakes

November and December are the busiest months for teachers. Instead of relaxing and preparing for Christmas, we are marking essays and countless exams, planning engaging lessons to keep our students on task, writing detailed reports and on top of that re-enforcing classroom rules as students begin to enter “holiday mode”. Not that I blame them. The scent of Christmas is lingering and my frustration increases at the thought of the last day of school occurring only TWO days before Christmas! 

However, I refuse to allow all of my work to heavily impact my baking. I need balance!
I have been experimenting with different cupcake flavours and even different desserts. Being a lover of chocolate mint, I thought it was only fitting that I begin with that, looking up recipes and settling for Nigella’s Choc Mint cupcakes (http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/mint-chocolate-cupcakes-1170). I added a chocolate decorative piece on top for presentation purposes. 

Choc Mint Cupcakes

Next up. Caramel. My partner’s favourite. Although I disliked the buttercream topping (perhaps too sweet with the caramel), the cupcake itself tasted delicious and in future, I would use an alternate icing or salt the caramel. This recipe comes from the Women’s Weekly Class Collection Cakes & Cupcakes books. 

Caramel Cupcakes

Looking forward to trying Peanut Heaven, Strawberry Meringue and Banana Cakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment